Established in 1949, the European Theological Seminary (ETS) was under the leadership of Bishop Robert Seyda, an American of German descent who was ministering at the time under the appointment of the Church of God World Missions Board.
In 1996, Seminary President Dr. John Sims began the process with the Pentecostal Theological Seminary in Cleveland, Tennessee, concerning the expansion of the graduate courses into a full extension program.
Because of the steady growth and international character of more students arriving from Eastern Europe and Africa, the facility was moved from Rudersberg to Freudenstadt-Kniebis, and is now located in Kniebis specifically. Since 2007, ETS has offered Master degrees in theology and counseling in conjunction with Lee University, Cleveland.
From 2002 until 2017, 452 students graduated from Kniebis and 1278 from the Extension programs. To date, there are 44 students in the Undergraduate program, 20 students in the Graduate program, and 400 students in the Extension programs.
Those individuals who are pressing toward the mark of the high calling of God, are impacting the world and SENDING THE LIGHT to every nation possible. Graduate students are serving in leadership positions throughout Europe and the Middle East, and are planting churches along the path of evangelism.
Paul Schmidgall, PhD, is the president of ETS and is leading the school to a greater level of influence and productivity. The institution is a primary leader in training and discipling future leaders in the Church of God outside the U.S.